The truth about word of mouth
Sure, it's hard for you. Your brand doesn't get as much as you like.
But that's not what I mean.
It's hard for the consumer. A few people like to blab and babble. Most people don't.
Consider Iowa. Caucus turnout was huge. And yet it only represents a tiny percentage of the people who vote in the actual election in Iowa. What? The caucus stage is so much more important in the scheme of things (the Iowa electoral vote essentially never influences an election). So why skip the caucus?
90% of voters skip it because they don't want to stand up in front of people and tell them who they're voting for. They don't want to be challenged or made to look foolish. So they keep quiet.
That's what most of your customers do. They lay low, because they're afraid or shy or just not used to talking about brands and products or experiences.
Sure, 1% of your customers blog or post or just plain talk. They're louder than ever before. But the other 99% represent a real opportunity for you. Figure out how to get them out there. Cajole them to go to a caucus.