Evolution of every medium
- Technicians who invented it, run it
- Technicians with taste, leverage it
- Artists take over from the technicians
- MBAs take over from the artists
- Bureaucrats drive the medium to banality
TV used to be driven by the guys who knew how to run cameras and transmitters. Then it got handed off to the Ernie Kovacs/Rod Serling types. Then the financial operators like ITT and Gulf + Western milked it. And finally it's just a job.
Same thing happened to oil painting and it'll happen to your favorite slice of the web as well.